Radio Innovation Comes Full Circle in Quincy, IL
One evening in 1929, two young men named William Lear and Elmer Wavering drove their girlfriends to a lookout point high above Quincy, IL, to watch the sunset. It was a romantic night to be sure, but one of the women observed that it would be even nicer if they could listen to music in the car. And thus the idea for the car radio was born.
To cut a long story short, after much trial and error Lear and Wavering joined forces with Paul Galvin, of Galvin Manufacturing Corporation, to mass-produce the ‘Motorola’ car radio which Ford began pre-installing in their cars in 1933. Galvin Manufacturing Corporation officially changed its name to ‘Motorola’ in 1947 and went on to develop many of the communications technologies we take for granted today.
Unfortunately, in 1978 the 990,000 square foot Motorola plant in Quincy closed down and the area lost 3,500 jobs, including a huge population of experienced electronics assembly workers. A number of radio transmitter companies have utilized this expertise over the years and as a result Quincy has become known as somewhat of a radio hub.
|Nautel is no different; we have leveraged this local expertise with the location of our Quincy Customer Service office which together with Bangor and Hackett’s Cove offers our renowned 24/7 ‘keep you on the air no matter what’ technical support.|
A few members of our Quincy, IL team.
Pictured from left to right, John Macdonald, Nelson Bohorquez, and Ken Ruzicka.